Pages

1.31.2010

Men's Retreat Part III


 This past weekend I attended the third annual men's retreat hosted by the Baptist Campus Ministry at Syracuse University (my church!). It, as usual, was totally awesome. (The above picture was taken from the top of Mount Baker.)

We left Friday afternoon and arrived at the Lake Placid Baptist Church, which might I add is a church that God has his hand on bigtime. Now I say that with absolutely no regard to numbers or size of the congregation or anything...it is rather small in comparison to modern-day megachurches. LPBC rather is a vibrant, loving, praying, community of Christians that has never failed to encourage me and give me a better picture of what the local church is supposed to look like. Makes me want to remain in a small church...

Anyways, the teaching theme of the weekend was based off of 2 Timothy 2:2. I would summarize the exhortation of the weekend as this: "Make disciples: teach them to teach, and teach them to preach." I gave a short talk on discipleship. My notes are available here if anyone cares for my thoughts on 2 Timothy 2:2 and discipleship: Discipleship Notes



On Saturday a bacon blanket was weaved. Though you might think that nothing could possibly top this...

 
We went curling. It was awesome. I had two shots that were complete miracles on ice...you had to be there. Curling can be very competitive. Later that night we had some epic spaghetti for dinner and then played body-body. If you don't know what that is, it is basically a live action version of the more commonly known party game "Mafia". I may or may not have given someone a bloody nose in an overzealous execution attempt...

Overall it was an absolutely fantastic weekend and now I am rather tired and going to read my Bible and relax, for tomorrow is the first Monday in a long time that I will be unemployed.



No comments:

Post a Comment