Pages

6.03.2010

Reasons Why Jesus Lived, Died, & Rose

I am mildly stealing the title of this post from Piper's 50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die if you were wondering. As a side note, I just started this book (on audiobook) and it is worthy of long hard stares at the Savior and why he came and the numerous blessings we receive through his death. When I say death I mean to keep the cross as the central, climactic point of Jesus life, and indeed all of history, but I also imply his life and resurrection for they are essential to fully understanding and grasping his death on that Roman cross and its purpose.

With all that said, I want to point out a reason why Jesus came to Earth that I discovered today.
But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. - Galatians 4:4-5
God, at the exact time he had planned, sent his Son into the world as the Christ humbly clothed himself with flesh. This was at the proper time, indeed, all the prophecies pointing to the Messiah were ready to be fulfilled and 2,000 years ago, the "fullness of time" indeed came to the timeline of humanity and the Savior was born.

He was sent by the Father, he was born as any other human was - through physical growth and the special virgin birth, though he is eternal - he was born as a Jew with a heritage of Jews and Gentiles. The Son of God came and lived perfectly under God's law so that people under the same law might receive adoption as sons.

Jesus was born, lived his life, died on the cross, and rose again so that I might be adopted as a son of God and made a co-heir with Christ.

That truth should simply be mind blowing. That truth should lay such an amazing bedrock for Christians as we doubt who we are before God, as we doubt what God will say to us as we stand before his throne. As the hymn goes, I know that "before the throne of God above I have a strong and perfect plea, a great high priest whose name is Love, who ever lives and pleads for me." And yet, if you were to ask most Christians, I would be willing to bet that they have never or rarely heard this glorious truth and doctrine preached. What a shame that this doctrine has been lost and neglected for reasons of which I know not.

In short, the Son of God humbled himself to death on a cross so that I could be adopted by his heavenly Father. This is one reason why Jesus came to us.

I do have one question for you readers:
Has the doctrine of adoption been preached to you? If so, describe it. If not, tell us why you think this is.

1 comment:

  1. A book you would certainly enjoy, if you haven't read already, is "Redemption Accomplished and Applied" by John Murray. I highly recommend this as it provides a broad spectrum overview of what Jesus' death on the cross accomplished. It's great theology and thereby, genuinely exciting!

    http://amzn.com/0802811434

    ReplyDelete