Pages

10.01.2010

My moral character vs. Jesus' righteousness

Father,

I don’t want to be stuck in a cycle of sin for my entire life. I feel powerless to conquer my sin. I cannot overrule it. Your word says that I should, “by the Spirit put to death the deeds of the body” and not think that I will be “perfected by the flesh”, but rather “by hearing with faith.”

I judge the measure of my life’s goodness, joy, and success by my level of sin. This is a deep sin and mistrust of You. Forgive me for this and work in me faith which trusts in your Son. Let me not trust the sweetest frame. If I were ever a morally outstanding example in purity, love, and good works, let me not trust in this. Jesus is the root of my salvation, not my good moral character. Indeed, I should find it insane to trust in my own righteousness, for it is non-existent. I bring nothing to your feet by which I can commend myself. Give me a simple, one-point faith. A faith that answers to the valid charge of my sin and uncleanness by pointing simply to the slain Lamb of God, “for while we were yet sinners, Christ died for the unrighteous.”

I am saved by Jesus name, not mine. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment