Pages

1.08.2013

Gadsby #9

9 L.M. Samuel Medley
The Loving-Kindness of God. Ps. 36. 7

1 Awake, my soul, in joyful lays,
And sing thy great Redeemer’s praise;
He justly claims a song from me;
His loving-kindness, O how free!

2 He saw me ruined in the fall,
Yet loved me notwithstanding all;
He saved me from my lost estate;
His loving-kindness, O how great!

3 [Though numerous hosts of mighty foes,
Though earth and hell my way oppose,
He safely leads my soul along;
His loving-kindness, O how strong!]

4 [When trouble, like a gloomy cloud,
Has gathered thick and thundered loud,
He near my soul has always stood;
His loving-kindness, O how good!]

5 Often I feel my sinful heart
Prone from my Saviour to depart;
But though I have him oft forgot,
His loving-kindness changes not!

6 Soon shall I pass the gloomy vale;
Soon all my mortal powers must fail;
O may my last expiring breath
His loving-kindness sing in death!

7 Then let me mount and soar away
To the bright world of endless day,
And sing with rapture and surprise,
His loving-kindness in the skies.

I love hymns like this. Hymns which tell a story, which more resemble thoughtful poetry than a type of buzzword bingo with worship words.

"Lays" are songs, in case you were wondering what that word meant. I think our churches should sing more lays with pictures of our glorious future (see the last stanza). Considering the coming eternal ages of God's consummated kingdom should greatly affect our living today. Seeing the future with eyes of faith changes our hearts as a storm-tossed sailor is renewed with energy and strength at the sight of land. Let's consider the glorious future God has in store for us more often. Doing so will surely change our lives and the lives of those we encounter in our sojourning.

No comments:

Post a Comment